10.24.18 HAPPY ACUPUNCTURE & ORIENTAL MEDICINE (AOM) DAY!
Since its inception in 2002, AOM Day has been all about increasing public awareness of the benefits and progress of acupuncture and oriental medicine. In honor of this day (and my first blog post), here are 7 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT ACUPUNCTURE from The American Society of Acupuncturists!
1) 1.35 Million more Americans are using acupuncture since 2002
2) 3,035 hours is what it takes to be nationally board certified for acupuncture & herbology by The National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM)
3) 30 acupuncture needles can fit into 1 hypodermic needle that is used to get a shot
4) 28 diseases, symptoms, or conditions for which acupuncture has been recognized by the World Health Organization to be effective. 60+ more conditions are currently being studied.
5) 10 conditions where acupuncture has been proven to be a more cost effective treatment: allergies, headaches and migraines, painful periods, chronic pain, anxiety & depression…
6) 4 known mechanisms by which acupuncture has been shown to work: a) stimulates local blood flow b) normalizes the nervous system c) improves emotional well-being (effects endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine), and lessens pain sensitivity
7) More and more insurance plans are covering acupuncture as a benefit :)